These famous quotes about love and life are the perfect mottos to live your life by and make the most of every day.
- “Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life.” – Omar Khayyam
This positive life quote from Persian poet Omar Khayyam is all about living in the moment and enjoying it.
- “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” – Albert Einstein
The famous physicist wrote this inspirational saying to his son Eduard in a letter in 1930.
- “To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funny bone.” – Reba McEntire
In this uplifting quote, American actress and singer Reba McEntire says that we all need hope, courage and a good sense of humour.
- “God gave us the gift of life; it is up to us to give ourselves the gift of living well.” – Voltaire
A French writer and philosopher, Voltaire was known for his thoughtful quotes about life.
- “Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.” – Soren Kierkegaard
This famous Danish philosopher sums up the paradox of living in this famous quote.
- “Life is a song – sing it. Life is a game – play it. Life is a challenge – meet it. Life is a dream – realise it. Life is a sacrifice – offer it. Life is love – enjoy it.” – Sai Baba
Hindu religious leader Sai Baba captures the essence of a happy life in this beautiful inspirational quote.
- “We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.” – Winston Churchill
In this inspirational message, the famous Prime Minister highlights the importance of helping others.
- “Life is the flower for which love is the honey.” – Victor Hugo
This is a beautiful quote about life and love from the author of Les Misérables and The Hunchback of Notre-Dame.
- “Life is like the ocean, it goes up and down.” – Vanessa Paradis
Through the good times and the bad, life ebbs and flows, says French musician Vanessa Paradis.
- “The more sand has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should see through it.” – Niccolo Machiavelli
This Medieval Italian politician highlighted the value of experience in this powerful quote about life.
- “The purpose of our lives is to be happy.” – Dalai Lama
Simply put by His Holiness, this inspirational quote summarises the true meaning of life.
- “Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.” – Allen Saunders
This witty life quote is also in the lyrics to John Lennon’s song Beautiful Boy.
- “Life is a lot like jazz… It’s best when you improvise.” – George Gershwin
American composer George Gershwin knew that sometimes in life you have to follow your own melody.
- “Life itself is the most wonderful fairy-tale.” – Hans Christian Andersen
The creator of many classic fairy-tales, this Danish author knew that magic is real, not just fiction.
- “Life is a great sunrise. I do not see why death should not be an even greater one.” – Vladimir Nabokov
This famous quote about life and death is an inspirational message for anyone who believes in an afterlife.
- “Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can’t help them, at least don’t hurt them.” – Dalai Lama
Another inspirational quote from the Dalai Lama, about the importance of helping other people.
- “Try to be a rainbow in someone’s cloud.” – Maya Angelou
This uplifting quote from American poet Maya Angelou reminds you to always try to brighten someone’s day.
- “In the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.” – Abraham Lincoln
Attributed to this famous U.S. President, this quote gets to the heart of what really matters in life.
- “You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” – Mae West
Mae West’s inspirational quote reminds everyone to make the most of the time they have.
- “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” – William Shakespeare
The Bard’s witty, short inspirational quote is the perfect rule to live your life by.
- “Life’s too mysterious to take too serious.” – Mary Engelbreit
This funny and uplifting quote is a great reminder to never take yourself too seriously.
- “Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we’re here, we should dance.” – Anonymous
Always make the most of life and enjoy yourself while you can.
- “Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you.” – Walt Whitman
Famous poet Walt Whitman knew the secret to living a happy life.
- “We all have two lives. The second one starts when we realise we only have one.” – Confucius
The Chinese philosopher reminds us that you can only start appreciating life when you treasure every day.
- “The bad news is time flies. The good news is you’re the pilot.” – Michael Altshuler
This witty, inspirational quote is about taking control of your life and making the most of your time.
- “The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.” – W. M. Lewis
Start making the most of life now, says American teacher and politician W.M. Lewis.
- “Where there is love, there is life.” – Mahatma Ghandi
Ghandi reminds us that life and love are always intertwined with this powerful quote.
- “Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile.” – Albert Einstein
Another famous quote from Einstein, reminding us that helping others is the key to a good life.
- “Love the life you live. Live the life you love.” – Bob Marley
Reggae legend Bob Marley inspires listeners to seize the moment and love every day.
- “Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
This philosopher gives us three ways to enjoy life more in this uplifting quote.
Discover more beautiful quotes to say goodbye to a loved one and remembrance poems. If you’ve got a favourite quote or saying that you live by, make sure your loved ones know to include it in your memorial service. When you buy a funeral plan with Avalon, you can make personal requests so your loved ones know exactly what you would have wanted.
About the author
With a Masters from the University of Bristol, Jessica Hanson has worked in the funeral sector for several years, following the latest industry trends and writing about end of life planning. Jessica has previously written as a blogger for the Huffington Post, covering topics such as death positivity, understanding grief and how funerals are changing. You can find Jessica on LinkedIn and Twitter.