These inspirational quotes for funerals are the perfect way to express your thoughts after losing a loved one.
If you’re planning a loved one’s funeral, these bereavement quotes could help you say what you feel. Or, if you’re thinking about what you’d like to be said at your own send-off, you could choose a funeral quote that is special to you. Family and friends will find comfort in knowing you’ve had a say in your final farewell.
1. “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.” – Dr. Seuss
2. “In the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.” – Abraham Lincoln
3. “Grief is the price we pay for love.” – Anonymous
4. “All that we love deeply becomes part of us.” – Helen Keller
5. “In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life: it goes on.” – Robert Frost
6. “People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” – Maya Angelou
7. “Death ends a life, not a relationship.” – Morrie Schwartz
8. “A death is not the extinguishing of a light, but the putting out of the lamp because the dawn has come.” – Rabindranath Tagore
9. “Perhaps passing through the gates of death is like passing quietly through the gate in a pasture fence. On the other side, you keep walking, without the need to look back. No shock, no drama, just the lifting of a plank or two in a simple wooden gate in a clearing. Neither pain, nor floods of light, nor great voices, but just the silent crossing of a meadow.” – Mark Helprin
10. “This is the miracle that happens every time to those who really love; the more they give, the more they possess.” – Rainer Maria Rilke
11. “Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends leave footprints in your heart.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
12. “A new life begins for us with every second. Let us go forward joyously to meet it. We must press on, whether we will or not, and we shall walk better with our eyes before us than with them ever case behind.” – Jerome K. Jerome
13. “Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal.” – Anonymous
14. “Love like ours can never die.” – Rudyard Kipling
15. “Those who love deeply never grow old; they may die of old age, but they die young.” – Sir Arthur Wing Pinero
16. “As a well-spent day brings happy sleep, so a life well used brings happy death.” – Leonardo da Vinci
17. “For death is no more than a turning of us over from time to eternity.” – William Penn
18. “Life and death are one, even as the river and the sea are one.” – Khalil Gibran
19. “From my body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity.” – Edvard Munch
20. “Everyone must leave something behind when he dies, my grandfather said. A child or a book or a painting or a house or a wall built or a pair of shoes made. Or a garden planted. Something your hand touched some way so your soul has somewhere to go when you die, and when people look at that tree or that flower you planted, you’re there.” – Ray Bradbury
If you’re thinking about how you’d like to be remembered, an Avalon Funeral Plan lets you choose the funeral you want – find out more about our range of funeral plans.
About the author
With a Masters from the University of Bristol, Jessica Hanson has worked in the funeral sector for several years, following the latest industry trends and writing about end of life planning. Jessica has previously written as a blogger for the Huffington Post, covering topics such as death positivity, understanding grief and how funerals are changing. You can find Jessica on LinkedIn and Twitter.