30 best bucket list ideasJuly 20 2018
Discover the best bucket list ideas that will inspire you to live life to the full.
What is a bucket list?
A bucket list is a list of everything you want to do in life before you ‘kick the bucket’. From adrenaline-fuelled adventures to personal ambitions, bucket list ideas are a way to help you focus on your goals.
The term was popularised by the 2007 film The Bucket List. Starring Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman, the film follows two men who have been diagnosed with terminal illnesses, but are determined to make the most of the time they have left.
Why make a bucket list?
Writing down your bucket list ideas helps you realise what you want to achieve. Apart from having a set list of goals to strive for, it will also help you reflect on what you’ve already accomplished.
Here are 30 of the best bucket list ideas to give you some inspiration:
- Learn to play an instrument. With lots of free tutorials online, it doesn’t need to be a big investment to finally make some music.
- Write a book. Aspiring authors need this on their bucket list – pick up a pen and get creative.
- Go skydiving. One for adrenaline junkies only, the feeling of freefalling is a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
- Learn to speak a foreign language. Online courses and free language apps are a great way to learn in your spare time.
- See your favourite band live. Nothing beats the experience of hearing your favourite music live.
- Climb a mountain. Connect with nature and reach new heights with this bucket list idea, perfect for adventurers.
- Get a tattoo. It’s not for everyone, but getting a special tattoo is on many people’s bucket lists.
- Go scuba diving. See amazing sea life up close and submerge yourself in an underwater world.
- Travel by hot air balloon. Float high above the earth and travel in style in a hot air balloon with someone special.
- Meet your idol. If there’s someone you look up to, meeting them and maybe even snapping a photo with them could be your ideal bucket list idea.
- Grow your own food. Gardening is good for mind, body and soul, and nothing tastes better than home-grown.
- Travel the world. There’s so much to see and do – why not come up with your own travel bucket list?
- Fall in love. Finding someone special is on a lot of people’s personal bucket lists.
- Commit a random act of kindness. Help a stranger, volunteer for charity, or raise money for a good cause.
- Watch the sun rise. Sometimes the best moments in life are the simplest – get up early and watch the sun rise in peace and contemplation.
- Hit a hole-in-one. Avid golfers all have this achievement on their bucket list – just beware that drinks will be on you back at the club!
- See your team win a trophy. Sport fans all want to see their team succeed and share in the glory of winning a title.
- Take up meditation. Meditation has been linked to better physical and mental health – a perfect bucket list idea if you want to find a bit more peace and calm in your day.
- Run a marathon. Not for the faint of heart, training for a marathon is hard work, but the satisfaction of finishing is incredible.
- Learn a craft. Woodworking, sewing, pottery or making jewellery – crafts are a great way to express your creative side.
- See a shooting star. And don’t forget to make a wish.
- Attend a family reunion. It’s easy to lose touch. Make catching up a bucket list goal to always stay connected with the people that matter.
- Read 100 books. Bookworms can make a book bucket list and work their way through all those novels they’ve always been meaning to read.
- Master cooking your favourite dish. A delicious and rewarding bucket list idea that will always impress when you have guests.
- Learn to dance. Never be afraid to get up on the dance floor again. Why not take a dance class with someone special and share the experience?
- Go on a road trip. Hit the road and enjoy the journey because it’s not always where you’re going, but how you get there.
- Ride a motorbike. If you’re born to be wild, heading out on the highway is a great bucket list idea.
- Win an award. It’s always nice to be recognised, whether it’s for a career achievement or personal goal.
- Take up a new sport. If you love being active, it’s never too late to learn something new.
- Volunteer for charity. Volunteering in your spare time is rewarding and a great way to give back to your community.
If you’re looking to the future, find out how an Avalon Funeral Plan can help you take care of your funeral arrangements, so you can get on with making the most of life.